Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Joanne’s Volunteering Experience with Riverkids

“Watching the children in the classroom every day makes you forget about all your petty worries back home and be grateful for all your blessings.” said Joanne.

My name is Joanne and I am from Sydney, Australia.
I arrived at the Riverkids project in early February 2010 to teach English for four weeks. During the first week, I taught the adorable kindergarten classes and they were quite a handful but so much fun to teach – their smiles and laughter were the highlights of the day! We taught them new English songs (like Itsy Bitsy Spider) and games for them to play. For the following weeks, I have been teaching the older children (10-13 year olds) which had also been great fun, especially teaching them about animals. It has been really interesting to get to know all the students and their individual personalities.

At first it was a daunting task being given the challenge to teach children, but the Riverkids project is a worthwhile cause. Also, seeing the kids gradually developing English skills is one of the most rewarding prizes at the end of the day. Watching the children in the classroom every day makes you forget about all your petty worries back home and be grateful for all your blessings.

We have donated some items for future volunteers and also bought dozens of new Khmer and English reading books for the students.

I am currently in my final year of university at the University of Sydney and will return to my studies once my time here at Riverkids is over. However the Riverkids project is now a cause very close to my heart and I plan to fundraise to send over computers or other computer equipment like keyboards when I get back home.
Contributed by: Joanne Lim

No comments: