Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Volunteer wished for more time with Riverkids children

"...You find much more here than you would if you were just a tourist." said Riverkids Volunteer, Richard.

Hello, my name is Richard Bellis. I’m 18 years old and live in North Wales in the UK. I’ve been volunteering at the Riverkids project for 5 weeks. This week is my last week at Riverkids and I’ll be very sad to leave. The time I’ve spent here has been very rewarding and I really enjoyed teaching the children.

It was difficult at first. I’d never taught English before but you soon get used to it. I’ve taught several different classes whilst I’ve been here. It has been really interesting to see the children learning English at different levels and ages. I hope that I’ve taught each class something new and that they also remember it in the future!

The work that Riverkids has been doing is very important. I remember visiting the area where the children live with Soklee. It was a very sobering experience but it helped me realise just how vital it is to educate these children for the future. I know that in 5 weeks I can only contribute a small amount, but I’m very happy that I’ve done something to help. The work that’s done by all the staff at Riverkids really makes a difference to these children’s lives.

In the future I hope I will be able to come back with some of my friends to show them the work that Riverkids is doing. Cambodia is an amazing country to visit. Being a tourist here is great fun. But by volunteering you find much more here than you would if you were just a tourist. I just wish that I could spend a few more weeks here!


Contributed by: Volunteer, Richard Bellis.

No comments: